Gifts to Avoid this Festive Season
Christmas is just around the corner! Christmas trees and decorative lights can be seen everywhere, getting you in the mood to shop for gifts for your loved ones. However, there are a few gifts that you should avoid giving as they are not good for Fengshui. Here are some of the items you should avoid giving and its representations:
- Clocks and timepieces - Giving a clock or a timepiece represents impermanence or shortened lifespan. Since watches are commonly seen in wish lists, you may give them gift cards and allow them to choose their own timepiece.
- Empty wallet - An empty wallet represents wishing bad luck upon the recipient. To remedy this, fill it with coins or cash. This will represent wishing the recipient overflowing wealth.
- Sharp Objects. - Sharp objects such as knives, scissors or letter openers are not recommended as they represent cutting off the relationship. If you are a recipient of such items, give the giver a coin as it would be as though you bought the item from them. This will restore the bond between you.
- Handkerchiefs - Handkerchiefs are also not recommended as it would suggest that the recipient will cry a lot in the future. To remedy this, give the recipient a sweet smelling bar soap and use the handkerchief to wrap it to eliminate all negative suggestions.
- Flowers or plants with thorns - Giving cactuses and roses as gifts should be avoided as the sharp thorns could pierce the relationship. To remedy this, you can remove the thorns on the plant/flower which would symbolise a smooth relationship.
- Miniature Plants - miniature plants such as bonsai trees should not be given as gifts as it represents stunted growth. It may restrict the recipient’s personal growth in life. Pick healthy plants with rounded leaves instead as it symbolises longevity and prosperity.